I am currently recovering from another hellish weekend. Last Tuesday, I worked a 16-hour day between my day job and my part-time job. I was so exhausted and out of it the rest of the week. Then I also worked my crazy carnival gig on Friday, and Saturday, and worked a very long, Passover dinner yesterday. I’m beat. To make matters worse, on Friday I was rushing to get somewhere, so while I was texting and walking I ran into the edge of a wall. I proceeded to bleed, and felt very disoriented, and now my eye is a little black and blue and I have a nice cut on my eyebrow. I was beyond embarrassed and it just felt silly. Apparently, texting and walking is really dangerous, so be careful.
I’m beat, but I’m also really excited because this is the last of it. I am working one day this weekend, and in May my schedule is a lot lighter. I have more freelance writing gigs, and will focus my attention on online efforts. I am really excited about this– finally seeing progress on some things and I get to stay at home more!
I’ve learned a lot working so much the past three months. This past weekend really tested me. The accident was just a manifestation of how busy and tired I am and it is starting to affect how I take care of myself. Even though this month will mark the most side hustle income I’ve ever made, I consider it a failure on a lot of fronts. I’ll write more on it later, but working this much really has diminishing returns after a certain point. I have reached my limit and now want to focus my energy on creatively fulfilling work I can do from home. The running around part is really costing me so much energy and money! In light of these realizations that I have failed in some ways, I thought it would be fun to start the week off with some of my epic financial fails.
1. When I was 17 and spent $250 on breast enlargement pills (haha, no they didn’t work).
2. That time in Rio I got off at the wrong bus stop and had to take a $75 taxi ride back to the hostel. While drunk on the beach in Rio, I also got swindled into getting a fake tattoo which cost me another $50.
3. When I was 13, I found $100 bill…..and spent it on shampoo, conditioner, and skin care products?!?
4. That one time Ryan and I went to happy hour, with coupons and still spent $50.
5. In Reykjavik, I tried to order a glass of wine, and ended up buying a bottle of it. I didn’t realize this until after I signed the credit card receipt.
6. The first time I used my emergency fund after running a stop sign and getting into a car accident.
7. When I was 18, I really wanted my then boyfriend to love me….so I paid for our flights and a concert….in Vegas. We couldn’t even drink, so this was just such a waste. We didn’t even last more than six months!
8. After getting my first real career job, moving into a studio all by myself and paying $1,000/mo, even though I had student loans.
9. From 22-23, I went out to karaoke 3-4x a week. Yes, I was addicted, but it was also my therapy. That shit adds up.
10. Not being insured and ending up in the ER.
I want to hear from you! What is your most epic financial fail?